Las Piedras Vineyard
Beckstoffer Heritage Vineyard
Planted to vineyard for over 150 years, Beckstoffer Las Piedras traces its history back to the original Mexican land grants. In the 1840’s European settler, Edward Bale planted the property, a wedding gift to he and his wife from General Vallejo, to Mission grapes. It became the first vineyard planted in what is now the St. Helena appellation.
The vineyard was first planted to wine grape varietals by Henry Amstutz, a colleague of Henry Pallet, one of California’s first great winemakers, who established one of the first wineries in the Valley on the adjoining property in 1860. In 1983 Beckstoffer Vineyards purchased the property and planted it to two clones of Cabernet Sauvignon. Impressed with the quality of the gravelly soil, the farm workers named the vineyard Las Piedras, which means little pebbles.